If you’re looking to take an extended journey to remote destinations, you may wonder which water storage solution is the best for overlanding. The good thing is you have a lot of options concerning size and cost. In my experience your main concerns should be the container’s durability, functionality, and longevity.
Are these the best water jugs for overlanding? Here are the best water storage options for overlanding:
- Scepter 5 Gallon True Military Water Container
- RotopaX RX-2W 2 Gallon Water Pack
- Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon Rigid Water Container
- WaterBrick water storage container
- Reliance Rhino-Pak Heavy Duty Water Container
- Front Runner Plastic Water Jerry Can
- Front Runner Slanted Water Tank
- Allentian Stainless Steel Water Can
- Lifesaver Jerrycan Water Purifier
Overlanding appeals to anyone who appreciates the traveling experience more than the destination. Unlike recreational camping and off-roading, overlanding may last for weeks or even months, or years. When you plan a trip, it’s crucial to pack supplies that will last for the long journey.
A long trip will require you to have access to a substantial amount of clean and safe water, and storing your water can be tricky when you’re traveling for several weeks or months. If you purchase your water as you travel, you’ll waste money, accumulate plastic waste, and have trouble moving and storing disposable bottles. There are several water jugs available that are suitable for extended storage periods. This article examines the low to mid-range priced containers and high-priced premium containers.
Table of Contents
- The Best Budget Water Storage for Overlanding
- Best Mid-Price Water Storage For Overlanding
- What are the Best Premium Water Jugs for Overlanding?
- Final Thoughts
The Best Budget Water Storage for Overlanding
Water storage for overlanding can range in price from $20 to $400. The following section reviews the jugs that are great options in the lower price range.
Reliance Products Aqua-Tainer 7 Gallon Rigid Water Container
If you are looking for one of the best low priced water containers on the market. The Aqua-Tainer is a good choice. Especially if you’re looking to keep your water expense at a minimum. Unlike regular jerry can designs, the Aqua-Tainer is a wider container that holds seven gallons rather than the standard five gallons.
The container is a little heavier to carry due to its increased storage capacity, but it stores easily in a truck or the back of your jeep.
The jug is less durable than more expensive models, and its plastic is thinner than Scepter’s 5 Gallon container. However, for the money, it will be hard find a better container. It is more likely to crack if you drop it and it lands hard, but the manufacturer includes a five-year warranty that covers defects.
- Rigid, 7-gallon rectangular water container with molded contour grip
- Space-saving design for easy storing and stacking when empty
- New and improved screw-on vent; hideaway spigot for on-demand water dispensing
- Suitable for outdoors activities and emergency water storage
Reliance Rhino-Pak Heavy Duty Water Container
Another low-priced offering from Reliance is the Rhino-Pak. This 5.5-gallon container has a side-locking feature that allows you to interlock multiple containers. Its jerry can design make it easy to carry and store.
The container’s plastic is not as thick as Scepter’s 5-gallon model, but it’s thicker than the Aqua-Tainer. It comes with a handy pour spout attachment and is composed of BPA-free polyethylene.
The polyethylene (#2) is rated as the best plastic for potable water. It is not as durable as the Waterbrick but is much easier to carry.
Of all the containers mentioned, the Scepter 5 gallon is the most durable but is slightly more expensive than the lower-cost models. If you’re willing to part with $50 or $60, the Scepter container is ideal for extended, overlanding adventures.
Best Mid-Price Water Storage For Overlanding
If you’re looking to spend a little more, you’ll probably want to take a look at some of these popular solutions.
RotopaX RX-2W 2 Gallon Water Pack
If you’re already familiar with RotopaX Mountable Fuel Containers, or are looking for a mountable water and fuel set up, then you’ll want to look at the RotopaX RX-2W 2 Gallon Water Pack.
You’ll often see these out on the trails, or in videos of Overlanding. They’re popular, and rightly so. The RotopaX water packs are made out of a three layer Roto-Molded plastic with a leak proof cap that won’t vibrate loose while on the trails. They are EPA and CARB compliant and meet strict standards in quality and safety.
If you’re looking for a mountable water solution you can’t go wrong with a RotopaX water pack. Keep in mind, that you’ll need to purchase mounting hardware as well.
- RotopaX are the only EPA and CARB compliant fuel containers available for sale in the United States! This is thanks to a patented three-layer roto-molding process, along with specially formulated plastic barrier material to meet the governments' new e
- RotopaX (patent pending) are proudly made in the U.S.A.
- 1 Gallon Water Pack:Capacity: Each individual pack holds 1 gallon.Dimensions: 9-1/2"L x 13-1/4"W x 3"H.1.75 Gallon Water Pack:Sur
Scepter 5 Gallon True Military Water Container
If you want an extremely durable container that’s not too expensive, try the Scepter 5 Gallon True Military Water Container. Compared to most water containers in this price range, Scepter’s container is one of the sturdiest and easiest to use.
Scepter’s container is made of military-grade plastic, and it’s built to last for several years. The makers test their products by dropping the containers from various heights. According to satisfied Scepter customers, if you drop a full container out of a jeep or camper, you’re unlikely to see evidence of substantial damage.
Dropping the container may result in scuff marks, but the thick plastic resists hard impacts and will not crack or split. The jug has a large opening that allows you to fill the container with ease, and the BPA- free plastic does not leave a residual plastic taste after a thorough cleaning and rinse.
Wavian 22L Heavy Duty Food Grade Water Can
The Wavian 22L Heavy Duty Water Container is a solid contender for a mid-priced water can. It features a Military-grade anti-bacterial resin that is designed for and used by the Australian Military.
One of the great features of the Wavian Heavy Duty Water Container is the ability to inhibit bacterial growth. It has a textured construction which helps keep it from slipping around while out on your favorite overlanding trails.
Some users have reported some issues with the valve leaking, but most are happy with the quality of the product.
- 5 gallon water can UV stabilized BPA free textured military grade heavy duty anti bacterial resin made in Australia
- Brand new, heavy duty plastic water cans. Made in Australia for the military
- They are BPA free, food grade, and UV stabilized for extended outdoor use
- Opaque resin inhibits bacterial growth. Textured non-slip surface for grip
- Breather for no-glug pouring. Ideal for storage of drinking water. Holds 5 gallons or 22 liters
Redcamp 5.3 Gallon Portable Water Container
Redcamp offers a water container with a lot of great features for a pretty reasonable price. The Redcamp 5.3 Gallon Portable Water Container is a durable water jug that is perfect for outdoor activities like overlanding. Unlike some of the other water jugs mentioned, the Redcamp model includes a handy water tap at the bottom for easy pouring.
The container is made of BPA and PVC free food grade plastic. Although it is ideal for long term storage, some owners complain that the containers large opening can leak due to the lip not being even.
If you experience a similar problem, you can use a razor knife and sandpaper to even it out. This will help the top seal prevent leaks.
- The portable water container can only store water(Recommended temperature: 0-40℃/32℉-104℉). It's perfect for outdoor activities, like camping, picnic, hiking, travel also for home household and emergency preparedness
- Dimension: 15.7x 6.7x 12.6in (40x17x32cm). The water container has two holes. One is large enough to put your hand inside and clean it with the brush easily
- Redcamp water container includes a sealing cap, a water pipe, a cleaning brush, and an air inlet cover, the update faucet opens more easily and prevent leaks
- Food-Grade odorless great taste environmentally friendly non-toxic high-grade HDPE plastic, more transparent and softer. No BPA PVC and water taste will not be affected
- REDCAMP offers a 365-day limited manufacturer warranty. If you're not satisfied for any reason, please contact us immediately and we will give you a reply within 24 hours
WaterBrick water storage container
One of the most unique and functional jugs is the Waterbrick Storage Container. The container holds 3.5 gallons of water and is made of thick, durable plastic. To get the most functionality you’ll want to purchase more than one.
The jugs are incredibly tough and are pretty hard to damage when dropped at full capacity. Besides storing water, the container (according to the manufacturer) is also suitable for hunting binds, sandbags, blocks of ice, and ammo storage. The plastic is made of BPA-free material and is approved by the FDA.
Several units can be joined and stacked together in various configurations. This versatile feature makes storing the units a breeze. The fill spot has an enlarging opening for easy filling, and the manufacturer contends that the jugs have a fifteen-year life.
- Portable: comfort handle makes it easy to carry and secure in cars, boats or ATV's
- Stackable: unique design securely stacks to maximize limited storage space
- Customizable: perfect disaster relief container for storing food, water or anything you want to keep dry
- Convenient: Stack and store anywhere you need it or grab and go
- Made in the USA for everyday use and emergency preparedness
What are the Best Premium Water Jugs for Overlanding?
If you plan to spend several months or possible years on the road with your overland vehicle, you might consider purchasing a premium water storage container or system. Although some of the containers may seem pricey, they are more durable and effective for long excursions.
Allentian Stainless Steel Water Can
Unlike the previous water containers reviewed, the Allentian Stainless Steel Water Can is made of 100% stainless steel rather than plastic. At this price range, you’ll get a sturdy metal jug that should last a lifetime.
The container holds five gallons of water and includes a plastic pour spout that extends out of the screw top. One difference from all of the other jerry cans discussed is that the Allentian can is rated to carry hot liquids.
If you have a shower hose attachment, you can have a hot, low-pressure shower when you’re overlanding. Like a gas can, you can store the jug in the back of a jeep or truck, and the container does not leak when stored horizontally.
The container includes instructions on how to get rid of the initial metal taste of the water.
- 304 stainless steel, thickness: 1mm. Stainless steel cap and release valve.
- Size: 45 x 34 x 16.5 cm, weight: 8.8 lb, capacity: 20 liter / 5 gallon
- Holding water(including hot water) and related liquid, comes with one spout hose with filter (note: the water can is made by welding, may have some smells but not toxic, pls use soda water to clean it before use
- Premium quality and exquisite workmanship, durable and sturdy.
Lifesaver Jerrycan Water Purifier
The Lifesaver Jerrycan Water Purifier is the highest price of all the reviewed water jugs. However, unlike the other containers, the Lifesaver includes a premium water purifier. By combining a purifier and water container into one unit, you’ll save space and time.
The Lifesaver includes a large opening for water filling and a hand pump for dispensing. The design is similar to the Scepter container, but the plastic is thicker and more durable. It’s easy to carry and store on your long trips, and the water purifier is viable for 20,000 liters of water.
With a two-stage filtration system, the container allows you to draw from questionable water sources without the worry of bacteria, viruses, or cysts. Although it’s pricey, the Lifesaver offers the most versatile water purifier and container combination.
- Exceeds NSF P248 Military-Grade standards for water purification, this robust system reduces viruses, bacteria, cysts and parasites by 99. 9% or greater from even the dirtiest of water.
- Simply fill, pump and drink. Store up to 18. 5 liters of water from any source and filter when you need it with the built-in pump and filtered spout for clean water instantly.
- A failsafe automatic indicator that notifies you when it is time to replace the filter. The small carbon filters are easy to replace so you will always have clean water.
- The activated carbon filter removes chlorine, taste and odor, improving the palatability of water with no need to use chlorine or chlorine tablets with harsh tastes and smells.
When you go over your preparations for your next overland adventure, remember that you have several options for water storage. All of the containers discussed are durable, but the mid-range and premium jugs are exceptionally tough.
Whether you’re traveling for a few days and just need the water to make coffee, or you’re going to be out there for weeks, there are quality water storage containers that will suit your needs and budget. So, pack up your overland vehicle and hit the road without worrying about going thirsty.