When buying a truck, there are many factors you should consider. How much will it cost? What’s the gas mileage? Is it safe enough to be a family car? When it comes down to it, Toyota Tacomas regularly top the list of most desirable trucks you can buy. They’re a great purchase for many reasons, but will they be a good fit for your growing family?
Can a car seat fit in a Toyota Tacoma? A car seat can fit into a Toyota Tacoma; however, it’ll be snug. A booster seat will fit without a problem, and one car seat for small babies will fit well, but it’ll be hard to adjust appropriately. You may have less space in the front seat with a car seat in the back.
Toyota Tacomas are reliable and safe family cars and one of the best purchases you can make. It’ll give you enough room for your family and all your weekly groceries. Tacomas come in many different styles. Some are better for car seats than others.
Where to Put a Car Seat in Your Truck
If you have a small family of three or four, you can easily stick the car seat in the middle of the back seat, between the two passenger seats. This will ensure there’s enough room on either side for other kids or passengers to sit in. You’ll likely have to move the two front seats forward for the car seat to fit properly, but it’s important to give the car seat enough space to be strapped in correctly for safety.
Personally, I keep my car seat on the passenger side of the back seat. I found that having it in the middle there’s a bit of a lean to one side due to the way the back seat is designed.
Different Tacoma Packages
There are many types of Tacomas to choose from, all with different sizes and features. Some have two doors, and some have four. Obviously, you’ll want a four-door option if you’re planning on using a car seat. Here are the different types of Tacomas you can buy:
- SR – The total seating in this car is five passengers, and one of them can be a booster or car seat for young kids. It goes for about $26,000 new. It has airbags in the front and child safety locks for the wild ones in the back.
- SR5 – This Toyota Tacoma runs for about $28,000 and is one of the safest cars you can choose from. It has four-wheel drive and safety airbags that’ll protect you in an accident. This truck comes with child seat anchors that allow your kiddo to sit safely in their booster or car seat.
- TRD Sport – Another truck with four-wheel drive and a four out of five safety rating. Even with the name sport, it can be a great family car. It’s spacious enough to fit your entire family, car seat included. It goes for around $33,000. It might be a little pricey, but it’s worth it for such a good truck.
- TRD Off-Road – Though this truck is built for off-roading with a lot of features to offer a nice ride over hard terrain, it can be great for a family. If you love a good mix of family life and wildlife, this could be the truck for you! It goes for around $34,000 and will get you anywhere you need to go safely—on or off road.
- Limited – This double cab runs for around 38,000 dollars and is sleek and safe! It can fit up to five passengers, two in the front and three in the back. It has enough space for a car seat or booster, but it could be snug if you’re trying to fit two other people in the back.
- TRD Pro – A perfect car to have some fun in! It costs about $43,000 and is a perfect fit for a full family. It’s similar to the Off-Road version with a slight suspension upgrade. It can hold just as many family members and everyone anywhere they want to go.
Toyotas are great cars for any family and have many more features than just what’s listed. They’re safe and reliable, and each feature is meant to make them secure for you and your family. You can go anywhere from the rough terrain in the mountains, to the soft sand in the desert, and all the way back to your neighborhood with a smooth, safe ride.
Best Car Seats For Toyota Tacoma
Now you know the different trucks that’ll fit your entire family, but are there certain car seats that’ll work better for your truck? Here is a list of all of the car seats you can squeeze into the back of your new Toyota Tacoma.
Chicco KeyFit 30 Car Seat
- The #1-rated infant car seat in America!
- Easiest to install with Recline Sure levelling foot, Ride Right bubble levels, and Super Cinch LATCH tightened
- Designed for travel system use with compatible Chicco strollers (sold separately)
- Removable new-born head and body supports. For infants from 4 to 30 lbs and up to 30 inches in height
- 5-point harness with easy-pull tightened. 2-position carry-handle with comfortable grip; Product Max Seated Height: 19.5 Inches
The Chicco Keyfit 30 is a small and compact rear-facing car seat. It’s not only good for trucks, but also most smaller cars. This car seat is meant for itty bitty babies and can hold up to 30 pounds. If your baby is 4 to 30 pounds, this is a great option. My wife and I used this exact car seat for all 3 of our kids.
Graco 3-in-1 Car Seat
- All in One seat grows with Your child from 5 100 pound, rear to forward facing and becomes a belt positioning booster; save space in Your back seat with Unique rotating cup Holders; metal and plastic parts may be cleaned with mild soap and Cool Water; Buckle may be cleaned with a damp cloth
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of Your harness and headrest; integrated harness storage compartment Holds unused harness straps while seat is a belt positioning booster
- Engineered & crash tested to meet or exceed US Standard FMVSS 213; the Slim Fit car seat has been side impact tested for occupant retention solely with the built in 5 Point harness system; features EPS foam
- In Right Latch system for an Easy, one second Latch attachment; 4 position recline helps keep Your growing child comfy, in rear and forward facing modes
- Plush Supports keep Your child comfortable and are removable; washable seat cover is Easy to access without removing the harness; Car seat depth is 16.25 inch; Car seat height is 25.5 inch; Car seat width inside is 19.75 inch
- Graco Protect Plus Engineered: a combination of the most rigorous crash tests that helps protect Your child in frontal, side, rear & rollover crashes; additional testing based on the New Car Assessment Program and for extreme car interior temperatures
The Graco 3-in-1 is a great car seat if you have other kids that need to ride in the back like I do. It’s slimmer than other car seats and will give you more space without sacrificing safety. It’s designed to go from infant to toddler which will save you money in the long run.
Evenflo Tribute Car Seat
- Side Impact Tested, Meets or Exceeds All Applicable Federal Safety Standards and Evenflo's Side Impact Test Standard
- Designed and Tested for Structural Integrity at Energy Levels Approximately 2x the Federal Crash Test Standard. Rear Facing Fit Tip is Top of Child Head is at Least 1 Inch Below the Top of the Child Restraint Seat Back
- Multiple Shoulder Harness Positions for Better Fit and Longer Use. Age at Least Two Years of Age
- Upfront Harness Adjustment and Buckle Release Allows Easy and Convenient Adjusting
- Integrated Body Cushion Gives Added Comfort to Baby and an Easily Removable Head Pillow for Older Children
The Evenflo Tribute is a budget-friendly car seat. It’s affordable, small enough to fit in most cars, and of course, safe. Be sure to read the owner manual to ensure you install the car seat properly.
Combi Coccoro Car Seat
- TRU-SAFE: Combi utilizes Tru-Safe Side Impact Protection in its Convertible Car Seat. This offers deep side walls and a layer of energy absorbing foam to distribute crash energy away from your baby and toddler’s neck, head and spine. The removable infant insert also provides proper positioning and comfort for smaller children.
- COMPACT, LIGHTWEIGHT AND THREE ACROSS: The Coccoro Convertible Car Seat was designed with small spaces in mind. At 15.5 inches in width, the Cocorro easily installs in tighter spaces and smaller cars. This creates an easier installation, allows for “Three Across Installation” and also easier portability. It is FAA certified, so convenient travel became easier with this convertible car seat! The Coccoro is one of the few travel car seats.
- COMFORTABLE AND EASE OF USE: The Coccoro Convertible Car Seat has a buckle with an indicator that provides a visual cue when the harness is securely buckled. The Coccoro also features a tether connector strap for Rear-Facing tethering.
- WASHABLE: The Coccoro is machine washable. Please check your instruction manual before proceeding.
- WEIGHT AND HEIGHT: The Cocorro convertible car seat accomadates a baby and toddler from 3 – 33lbs Rear Facing and 20 – 40lbs Forward Facing. The Minimum height for your child is 19 inches and the Maximum Height is 40 inches.
The Combi Coccoro seat is 15.5 inches wide and 26 inches tall. It’s perfect for little babies that need to be seated backward for safety, and it’s small enough to fit in most cars and trucks. It has a maximum weight limit of 33 pounds, so you’ll have to upgrade when your kid outgrows it.
There are a lot of car seats to choose from that’ll fit into your truck. It’s important to look for something small and compact that’s also safe for your kids. Above our picks that I have experience with and know will fit in your Tacoma.
Toyota Tacomas are dependable trucks that will get you anywhere you want to go in style. There are many trims for you to choose from—all with double cab options—that are great for families. There are plenty of space-saving car seat options to accommodate your growing family.
Be sure to research all the options and pick the best fit for you and your family. Safety is the most important thing when it comes to picking out a family car and choosing the right car seat. Compare each option before buying anything new. Once you find the right fit, you and your family will have great adventures in your Tacoma for years to come.